Insurance and healthcare

Three types of insurance are mandatory for international students in France:
  • Health: Social Security - Sécurité Sociale. Complementary health insurance - mutuelle - is also highly advisable.
  • Civil liability - Responsabilité Civile.
  • Housing - Assurance logement.

Health: Social Security and complementary insurance

Social Security for non European Students

If you are a non European student, you must sign up for French Sécurité Sociale coverage as soon as you arrive.

Social Security for European students

If you are a European student, you first need to be covered by the health insurance from your home country. You will need to show your European Health Insurance Card when you register for French Social Security.

To register for French Social Security
  • Download the procedure to follow
  • Register on the website:
  • We strongly recommend that you complete this procedure as soon as possible after arrival.
Complementary Health Insurance
Social Security only covers 70% of all medical expenses. A mutuelle reimburses some or all of the difference (for medical consultations, medicine, etc). In Nantes, there are two main providers: SMEBA and LMDE.

Civil Liability

Civil liability insurance is compulsory. It covers you for damage you cause to others in your private life and as part of your student activities.

You should note that civil liability coverage covers you against damages to third parties but not necessarily to yourself, so, remember to take out suitable health insurance.

  • SMEBA, LMDE and banks all provide civil liability insurance.

Housing Insurance

Students Residences will hand over room keys if, and only if you have provided proof of accommodation insurance. A housing insurance certificate is therefore compulsory. Centrale Nantes has an ongoing close relationship with BNP Paribas bank which can provide you with housing insurance. They will send you the insurance certificate prior to your arrival in Nantes.

Published on April 17, 2018 Updated on June 7, 2019