Engineering Programme - Year 1

The common-core curriculum in year 1 provides students with broad-based multi-disciplinary engineering training. Technical and scientific courses make up 70% of the curriculum with the remaining 30% of the programme devoted to business sciences, social sciences, modern languages and sport. A total of 748 hours of classes are thus delivered over two semesters, including 168 hours of elective courses.

Students benefit from first-hand professional experience during year 1 with a student business project in the second semester and a 4-week internship to discover the business world in July/August. Students also commit to a civic engagement during their first year of studies whereby they make a contribution to society through volunteer work.

Overview of the Common-Core Curriculum - Autumn Semester

 
 

lecture
hours

tutorial
hours
lab
hours
project
hours
total
hours
ECTS
credits
Modelling Approaches in Mechanical Engineering  28  28 16   72 8
Product Design and Development  8  22 42   72 8
Physics and Fluid Dynamics 14 14 8   36 4
Engineering Elective - choose 1 of 5:         36 4
1. Information Systems 16 10 10      
2. Electronics, Electric Actuators, Embedded Systems 14 10 12      
3. Materials 10 10 16      
4. Applied Thermodynamics 14 22        
5. Biology 17 13 6      
Modern Languages 1   26      26  1
Modern Languages 2   26      26  1
Sports and Physical Education   26      26  1
Business Sciences          48  1 *
Social Sciences          16  
TOTAL          358  28

* 1 ECTS credit for Business and Social Sciences

Overview of the Common-Core Curriculum - Spring Semester

 
 
 

lecture
hours

tutorial
hours
lab
hours
project
hours
total
hours
ECTS
credits
Engineering Mathematics  16  44 12   72 8
From Measurement to Control  26  26 20   72 8
Algorithms and Programming 6 12 18   36 4
Engineering Elective - choose 1 of 5:         36 4
1. Information Systems 16 10 10      
2. Electronics, Electric Actuators, Embedded Systems 14 10 12      
3. Materials 10 10 16      
4. Applied Thermodynamics 14 22        
5. Biology 17 13 6      
Modern Languages 1   26      26  1
Modern Languages 2   26      26  1
Sports and Physical Education   26      26  1
Business Sciences          48  1*
Social Sciences          16  
Student Business Project        32  32  1
Internship & Civic Engagement            3
TOTAL          390  32

* 1 ECTS credit for Business and Social Sciences

Business Sciences, Social Sciences, Modern Languages and Sport


In addition to the acquisition of technical and scientific expertise, Centrale Nantes places a strong emphasis on personal development and the fostering of soft skills.

Two modern languages (English and a choice of second language) and sport are taught throughout the three years of the engineering programme. Business sciences courses include: personal and career development, communication, project management, economics, finance and marketing. First year students also choose two Social Science courses.

For full course details download the full programme by semester on this page.
Published on March 16, 2017 Updated on September 19, 2018